How to Certify
The Institute administers a rigorous, third-party product certification program, according to our quality policy. To certify a material or product under the Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard or to receive a Material Health Certificate, companies must work with a qualified independent assessment body to ensure a material or product meets the standard’s requirements.
Here are the key steps of the certification process. If you are ready to get started, complete the Certification Inquiry Form to connect with an Institute representative to learn more about certification.
Determine if your product is eligible for certification
- Is it eligible for certification? See Section 2 of the Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard Version 4.0 User Guidance to determine eligibility.
- Does it comply with the Cradle to Cradle Certified Version 4.0 Restricted Substances List?
- Is there a commitment to continuous improvement and product optimization?
- Are you selling a privately labeled version of a currently certified product? See if you are eligible for private label certification.
Select a Cradle to Cradle Certified Assessment Body for the testing, analysis, and evaluation of your product
- Select from the list of Accredited Assessment Bodies
- Develop a certification plan including cost, timeline, and necessary resources
Work with your assessor to compile and evaluate data and documentation
- Work with assessor and supply chain to collect data.
- Assessor evaluates data based on standard requirements.
- Assessor conducts manufacturing facility site visit(s) to determine conformance with standard requirements.
- Submit an application to the Institute, sign a Certification Agreement, and pay the certification and annual community fee.
- Submit an Assessment Summary Report, assembled by your assessor, to the Institute.
Receive certification for your product
- The Institute reviews the Assessment Summary Report to ensure completeness and accuracy.
- The Institute makes the certification decision, conferring a certificate and the use of the Cradle to Cradle Certified® mark, per the requirements of the Trademark Use Guidelines.
- Work with the Institute to post your products on the Cradle to Cradle Certified Products Registry.
Work with the Institute and your marketing teams
- Tell your innovation and certification story to your customers.
Report your progress
- Every two years, work with the assessor and supply chain to gather additional data needed for re-certification.
- Assessor evaluates data and progress on optimization strategies.
- Re-certification Assessment Summary Report submitted to the Institute for review.