The Institute administers a unique multi-attribute, third-party product certification program, according to our Quality Policy.
Here are key steps to get you started.
Determine if your product is appropriate for certification
- Is it within the scope of certification?
- Does it comply with the Banned Chemicals Lists?
- Is there a commitment to continuous improvement and product optimization?
- Does your product meet eligibility requirements in the in the Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Product Standard?
- Are you selling a privately labled version of a currently certified product? See if you are eligible for private label certification
Select an Accredited Assessment Body for the testing, analysis, and evaluation of your product
- Select from the list of Accredited Assessment Bodies
- Develop a certification plan including cost, timeline, and necessary resources
Work with your assessor to compile and evaluate data and documentation
- Work with assessor and supply chain to collect data
- Assessor evaluates data based on Standard criteria
- Work with assessor to develop optimization strategies
- Submit an Assessment Summary Report, assembled by your assessor, to the Institute for final review
Receive certification for your product
- The Institute reviews Assessment Summary Report to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Applicant signs a Trademark License Agreement, and pays the certification fee to the Institute
- The Institute makes the final certification decision, conferring a certificate and the use of the Cradle to Cradle Certified™ mark, per the requirements of the Trademark Use Guidelines
- Work with the Institute to post your products on the product registry
Work with Institute and your marketing teams
- Tell your innovation and certification story to your customers.
Report your progress
- Every two years, work with the assessor and supply chain to gather new data for re-certification
- Assessor evaluates data and progress on optimization strategies
- Re-certification Assessment Summary Report submitted to the Institute for review
- Tell the world as you become “more good, not less bad”