Get Cradle to Cradle Certified
At the Basic level, a product is just starting out on the path to certification. A company must do a Basic inventory of materials, energy use, water use, and social fairness issues affecting their industry and production region.
The Basic level of certification has been designed to get companies 'in the door,' establishing a commitment to ongoing assessment and optimization. As such, the Version 3.1 Basic level certification is a 'provisional' certification, meaning that a product may only be certified once at this level, and must re-certifiy at a higher level or lose certification. Products certified at the Basic level under Version 3.1 do not display the logo on their product, but may refer to it online and in print marketing materials.
- The product is 100% characterized by its generic materials (e.g., aluminum, polyethylene, steel, etc.) and/or product categories and names (e.g., coatings).
- Identify the appropriate metabolism, either as a technical nutrient or biological nutrient for the product and its components.
- The product does not contain any Banned List chemicals above the relevant thresholds based on supplier declarations.
- Each generic material in the product is clearly defined as an intended part of a biological or technical cycle
Renewable Energy and Carbon Management
- Annual purchased electricity and direct on-site emissions associated with the final manufacturing stage of the product are quantified.
- The manufacturer has not received a significant violation of their discharge permit within the last two years.
- Local- and business-specific water-related issues are characterized (e.g., the manufacturer will determine if water scarcity is an issue and/or if sensitive ecosystems are at risk due to direct operations).
- A statement of water stewardship intentions describing what action is being taken for mitigating the identified problems and concerns is provided. At re-application, progress on action plans is demonstrated.
- A basic self-audit is conducted to assess protection of fundamental human rights.
- Management procedures aiming to address any identified issues are provided. Demonstration of progress on the management plan is required for re-application.