Cradle to Cradle Certified™ Version 4
The second draft of the new Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard (Version 4) has been completed and was available for public review from 20 July to 4 September, 2020. Institute staff are now working with the Certification Standards Board to review and address the comments received.
The revised draft standard includes changes made following consideration of the extensive stakeholder feedback received during the initial public consultation period in 2019.
Cradle to Cradle Certified™ provides a framework for designing and manufacturing safe, circular and responsible products and materials that maximize health and well-being for people and planet. Designers, manufacturers and brands can use Cradle to Cradle Certified Version 4 to power innovation and drive systems change by:
- Ensuring materials are safe for humans and the environment
- Enabling a circular economy through product and process design
- Safeguarding climate, air, water and soil
- Respecting human rights and contributing to a fair and equitable society
Cradle to Cradle Certified Version 4 Draft Standard and Supporting Documents
The first and second drafts of the Version 4 Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard and reference documents, as well as a summary of changes and a Version 3.1 to second draft Version 4 comparison summary are available here.
The Institute held webinars on 22, 23, and 24 July 2020 to introduce the second draft of the Cradle to Cradle Certified Version 4 standard and highlight its most important features and updates. A recording of the introductory webinar is available here.
The Institute held webinars on 14 and 15 July 2020 to highlight the key changes made between the first and second drafts of version 4. A recording of the key changes webinar is available here.
To receive future updates on Version 4 and register for our newsletter, click here.
Version 3.1 to Version 4 Transition Policy
Current product certifications:
- Products currently certified against version 3.1 will be required to certify against version 4 within three years of the final version 4 publication date.
- Products ineligible for version 4 certification will not be permitted to recertify against version 3.1 after the final version 4 publication date (unless it is possible to demonstrate a commitment to meet the v4 requirements within a certain timeframe).
New product certifications:
- Applications for version 3.1 will be accepted up to 90 days after the version 4 publication date. Applications received after that date will be required to certify against version 4.
- Assessment summary forms for these v3.1 applications must be received by C2CPII within 180 days of the version 4 publication date to be considered for certification.
- The deadline for issuance of new product certifications against version 3.1 will be one year after the version 4 publication date.
Developing the New Standard
The Institute has engaged diverse stakeholders in the development of the new version of the Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard including our five Technical Advisory Groups, our Stakeholder Advisory Council, and our Certification Standards Board (CSB). The CSB serves as the decision-making body responsible for revising and updating the standard, and is comprised of industry leaders from companies with Cradle to Cradle Certified products, independent assessors of the Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard, and topical experts. The standard development process can be found here.