You might also be interested in:
Banned List of Chemicals
The Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM Products Program is open to a wide array of products across industries. However, here are certain classes of products that are outside the scope of certification.
This certification program applies to materials, sub-assemblies, and finished products. Materials and sub-assemblies can be considered “products” for certification purposes.
This program does not address performance measures associated with any products that qualify for Cradle to Cradle certification. Product compliance with all applicable laws and regulations is assumed. Some rules in the program address activities that are also subject to regulation by local, state, or federal authorities. However, nothing contained herein changes legal regulatory requirements or prescribes how compliance is to be achieved. Documentation of compliance with certain key regulations may be included in some sections of the Standard, but this in no way changes the underlying regulatory requirements.
There are a number of product attributes that may exclude a manufacturer from seeking certification. The following list depicts some cases and issues that are out of the scope of this program. The purpose of this list is to create a threshold to prevent unreasonable products from entering the system, to protect the positive values around products, as well as their usefulness. The scope of the program does not include the following:
- The presence of any chemicals from the Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM “Banned List(s)”
- Processes in and of themselves
- Food or beverage
- Buildings, countries, cities
- Products from rare or endangered species (e.g., ivory)
- Products with ethical issues (e.g., weapons, tobacco, electric chair, etc.)
- Products leading to or including animal abuse
- Products with apparent safety concerns related to physical and chemical characteristics
- Companies involved in rain forest damage, child labor, blood metals, or blood diamonds
- Applicant involved in terror support, racism/discrimination, weapon production or connection
- Nuclear power and/or products used to produce nuclear power
- Products that may be contrary to the intent of the Cradle to Cradle® principles