Introducing Version 3.0
Version 3.0 is the latest revision to the Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM Product Standard, developed by McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry and licensed exclusively to the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute. Version 3.0 replaces Version 2.1.1 (last Updated 2010). With this new standard, the Institute moves forward with training new assessors, educating the general public, and administering the certification program as an independent entity.
Transitioning to Version 3.0
Any new products beginning the certification process after January 1, 2013, and any currently certified products due for recertification after January 1, 2015 will need to meet Version 3.0 requirements. The standard version under which a product was assessed is noted on the certificate, as well as the official Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM Product Registry.
Key changes from Version 2.1.1 to Version 3.0
- 'Banned List(s) of Chemicals’ (one for materials of the biosphere, and one for materials managed in the technosphere) includes substances that may disqualify a product from the certification program at any level.
- Basic level requirements have been simplified to facilitate ‘Getting on the path’, although new Basic level inventory requirements have been added for Water Stewardship and Social Fairness.
- Basic level will be a 'provisional' certification, good for only 2 years.
- Addition of Bronze level between Basic and Silver. Bronze was added to create a more logical, even pathway for products moving up the levels of certification.
- After the material assessment, Carcinogenic, Mutagenic, and Reproductive toxins (CMRs) are not allowed in products at the Silver level.
- Use of renewable energy and carbon offset strategies begins at the Silver level.
- No major changes
- Over 100% of final manufacture energy must be renewably sourced.
- Cradle to gate emissions of the product are calculated, and partially off-set.