The Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM Product Standard provides a continuous improvement pathway toward the development of safe and healthy products. Product certification is available at five different levels (Basic, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum), with each higher level addressing a more rigorous set of requirements.
The Basic certification level is a “provisional” level designed to help companies “get on the path” toward the development of healthy and sustainable products, recognizing the difficulties of transition and honoring human intention as an important part of any successful protocol for continuous product improvement. Certification at the Basic level requires a commitment to future assessment of the chemical ingredients in a product, and optimization of the product by phasing out harmful substances, implementing reutilization strategies, increasing the use of renewable energy, and implementing water stewardship and social fairness programs.
Applicants should carefully review all of the standard’s criteria to determine whether it might be an appropriate fit for the program and what certification level is currently achievable.
Certification under Version 3.0 is valid for two years before the product must be re-certified.
What is the process?
Determine if your product is appropriate for certification (see eligibility)
- Is it within the scope of certification?
- Does it comply with the Banned Chemicals Lists?
- Is there a commitment to continuous improvement and product optimization?
Select an Accredited Assessment Body
- Select from the list of Accredited Assessment Bodies
- Develop a certification plan including cost, timeline, and necessary resources
Complete initial application forms
- Provide basic product information to assessor
- Register intent to certify with the Institute
Work with your assessor to compile and evaluate data and documentation
- Work with assessor and supply chain to collect data
- Data collection templates are available from the Institute
- Assessor evaluates data based on Standard criteria
- Work with assessor to develop optimization strategies
- Submit a Certification Summary Report, assembled by your assessor, to the Institute for final review.
Certification Summary Report Review
- The Institute reviews Certification Summary report to ensure completeness and accuracy
- The Institute issues a certificate, conferring use of the Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM mark, per the requirements of the Trademark Use Guidelines.
- Work with the assessor and supply chain to gather any new data, if the materials or process have changed
- Assessor evaluates data and progress on optimization strategies
- Re-Certification Summary report submitted to the Institute for review
Certain products may not be eligible for certification based on a number of factors, please review product eligibility requirements before contacting an assessor.
To have a product assessed for Cradle to Cradle certification, a manufacturer must work with an assessment body that has been accredited by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute. Qualified assessors are experienced individuals who have undergone training in Cradle to Cradle product assessments.
Companies receiving certification will have the opportunity to license the Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM Certification Mark. This Mark signifies to the global marketplace that a company has chosen a positive path toward using chemicals, materials, and processes for production that are healthy and fit in perpetual use cycles.
Check the FAQ for more answers about the certification process. If you don't see your answer there, feel free to contact us!